Sunday 1 February 2015

A Magical Moment with Edward Scissorhands




For as long as I can remember dance has been part of my life. I love performing, creating and teaching. Mum and I go as often as we can to live performances. So I was excited to hear that Matthew Bourne's Edward Scissorhands was coming to the Liverpool Empire. I have been a big fan of Matthew Bourne for a long time. So that was Mum's Christmas present sorted! 

We settled into our seats and from the moment the orchestra stuck up I was enchanted. The set and costumes perfectly the captured the world that surrounds Edwards story. Every single dancer played their character perfectly and completely swept me along. 

No one more so than Dominic North and his beautiful portrayal of Edward. Jonny Depp's performance of the character is so iconic initially I was worried that I wouldn't be able to shake that image from my mind. However as soon as he starts moving all thoughts of Mr Depp are banished. From a delicate twitch of the scissors to a dramatic leap North's performance is thoroughly captivating. 

With just music, gesture and movement the dancers guide you through the story of misunderstanding, acceptance, love and tragedy. I was moved to tears by this sweet and touching performance. In this moving and magical dance spectacle Matthew Bourne makes a tragic story truly beautiful. If this production comes to a theatre near you I strongly recommend that you see it. I promise you won't be disappointed. 

I hope you found this review interesting. If you have been to see the performance please share your experiences and thoughts with me. I'd love to hear what you think.

Much love
Charlie x

All pictures are from http://new-adventures.net/edward-scissorhands/gallery and @Mattbourne1 Twitter. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so peanut butter & jealous! This looks like an amazing production. Edward Scissorhands is one of my favorite movies so I'll definitely have to see if this is showing anywhere around here. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cori, I hope you do get a chance to see it, it's beautiful.

      Delete